Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thank you for indulging me.

“Y’all, Settle Down!”

Enter any Southern household and you are bound to hear this phrase eventually.

When you do, it will rarely be offered in a sweet, gentle, rational voice (though we know how to employ that voice when necessary, if it will serve our purposes).

“Y’all Settle Down!”

If you hear this uttered, you know you have crossed a line, that you (and your compatriots) are out of control, and that the person yelling it has reached her wit’s end (Yelling? Do we yell? We convey our message firmly… occasionally in a raised voice to ensure we are heard above the racket.).

I am not an expert on practicing the disciplines of a Christian life.

I am not writing this blog from a place of superiority or a well of vast knowledge.

I am writing it from the heart of someone who likes to be in control, but who longs to rest and trust, someone who tends to get busy and anxious, but longs to practice patience and simplicity.

I am writing it as someone who is at her wit’s end with herself, and is screaming over the noise & busyness of her own life “Settle Down!”

Many of you have either read or watched Eat, Pray, Love, and some of you may have found some kernel of inspiration there. Many of us also walked away from the book or movie thinking, “If only I could abandon my entire life and spend copious amounts of time and money in foreign lands, then I too could find rest and renewal for my weary soul.” Most likely none of us have the time, money, nor the desire to walk away from our day-to-day lives and relations (ok, perhaps occasional momentary escapes).

I don’t believe we should, nor do we have to, run away in order to renew.

Many of us grew up with people encouraging us to do great and mighty things for the Lord.

We received graduation gifts adorned with Jeremiah 29:11,
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
But, I’m thinking, if I ever get around to the mom thing, my kids may receive a preceding verse:
This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”
Settle down. Enjoy your life. Build relationships. Practice peace. Love God. Love others.

Do it where God places you… or where he leads you… but you don’t have to run off to find it.

My location is Little Rock.

My station in life is single, thirty-something, female.

I write from that place and that perspective.

But I am also hoping to invite stories from friends who are male, friends who are married, friends who are moms, friends who are missionaries, friends who are more mature.

In this free and public space, may we find ways to deepen our relationship with Christ and with the Church, right where God has us, and with the people he has brought across our path.

Blessings as we enter together into the Lenten season.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog and may I say that it feels like such a refreshing space. I'm looking forward to reading more of your chronicles. :)

    ReplyDelete